I Did It!

It was Boxing Day – December 26th 2017 that I took the plunge into the gym pool for the first time. I swam one length of crawl and swam breast-stroke back.  Then I did that again and repeated it one more time. Six lengths in all.  It has been 3 weeks and one day since I swam for the first time. I have been training a few times a week and my shoulders remind me every time I have swum. My neck muscles and shoulder joints are needing to get used to all this unexpected water activity.  There’s not too much muscle memory there. Despite my lack of condition today I swam 16 lengths without stopping. My mini goal for January was to try complete the three components of the sprint triathlon (2.5km run, 10km cycle and 400m swim). The run and bike ride I can do easily, albeit slowly. It was the swim that was the challenge – I could do it in stops and starts. Today I did it with no stops.

  • The run was in 17 min 29.
  • The ride was 27 min 45.
  • The swim was 10 min 40.

So those are my times to beat next Wednesday.

#540 of my 1000 thanks is I am getting fitter!

My brother often tells me that I am very like my Mom. And I am. About 80% of me takes after her. The remaining 20% is very different. My enjoyment in getting fit is part of that 20%. My Mom did not enjoy exercising and seldom did any. My pursuit of fitness is now fully underway. I am in week 11. I have not lost any weight (Christmas ambushed that a bit) but I am more toned. The weight loss will come. I just have to be patient and keep going.

Today is Wednesday but it feels a bit like Friday. Julian arrives this evening. Shortly we will leave for Echo to meet John and Avril for tea and a chat. Tomorrow Mike has his next eye injection.

The wind is howling in Cape Town. It’s due to continue through the weekend. We can expect some serious wind on Saturday. This is typical of summer.  I love Cape Town. I don’t want to live anywhere else.

Ephesians 1:4-5

Even before He made the world, God loved us and chose us in Christ to be holy and without fault in His eyes. God decided in advance to adopt us into His own family by bringing  us to Himself through Jesus Christ.

What a blessing that is. 38 years and 6 months ago today, He bought me to Himself.

These are the days.

Keep the smile going.

God bless you.

In His Grip,

Helga xx 🙂

This entry was posted in A Thousand Thanks, Day to Day Blogs and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.